Saturday, August 21, 2010

I am a master hair stylist, and i want to know something from people who get their hair done professionaly?

do you take advantage of your hair stylist!?!?!? i feel like some of my clients take advantage of me. for instance, the whole ';i am a beautician, not a magician'; quote comes into mind. like women who just to throw their hair around after sleeping on it, expect to look like a victoria secret model!! or a 60 year old with grey hair bringing me in pictures of ashley tisdale, telling me she wants her hair. completely differnet texture and facial features, if you knwo what i mean. or people who for some reason think they have red hair. alot of people dont like red hair. but when your hair is blonde, its not red!!!! i dont know what to do. i have great clients, but a handful of them constantly call after their service a day or 2 later and complain and want me to redo their hair for FREE. its not their hair they are unhappy with, it's themselves, and how do i handle this??!?! i am stressed out, because i am a people pleaser. and i don't know how to handle the situation.I am a master hair stylist, and i want to know something from people who get their hair done professionaly?
Sounds like you just need to get rid of those people... don't make time for them in your schedule then they will have to find someone else. It's probably not you. Sometimes people are just insaine!! I don't think that they are trying to take advantage of you they are just crazy and you need to get rid of them.I am a master hair stylist, and i want to know something from people who get their hair done professionaly?
don't worry try to convince your customer.try to explain them.


-by


http://www.newbeautytip.blogspot.com
I think everybody wants to magically transformed when they go to get their hair done professionally. (and for what some places charge - maybe they should be performing magic) But I always appreciate it when the stylist tells me ';I don't think that cut would suit your face shape'; or ';That color won't work with your skin tone';. I think that's your job. You are there to cut and style hair but you are the professional. You have to tell your customers when something they want just won't work. If they insist on getting what they want, maybe make them sign a waiver or something similar saying that you had advised against a certain color or cut but had proceeded at the client's request and you can't be held responsible for the outcome. That might make even the most bull headed customer think twice before commiting to some ridiculous look.
ask your manager and see what they would do. you might have a company policy to fix what people don't like. Tell them ahead of time that what they want with there hair is unrealistic, and if they STILL want it, then you should do it. Then when they complain, at least you told them ahead of time, right?
well, you cant please everyone. Just do your best and try to help people out, but at the end of the day don't let it bother you. Just leave all the problems at the salon and enjoy the rest of your night.
Well, I only ask for a touch-up if my highlights are too far from my scalp or something. I would never expect a stylist to work miracles, but I have a great stylist who doesn't try to disillusion me about what she can do. Really, the only way to keep them from taking advantage of you is to lay it on the line ahead of time when you think you can't do something they want. If they still insist, tell them the risks, possible outcomes, etc. Then, if they are still unhappy with the results, remind them of your previous talks. That's about all you can do.
I think that you should explain to them why they can't look like that and try to negotiate. You don't have to waste your time on them, just try to recomend something to them. If they don't like it, just tell them they can go find a magician to do thier hair.
Try explaining to them about hair texture and differences. I know I have more than one texture myself. I have patches of what some hair stylists call, ';new growth.'; It's more fine, scraggly, and refuses to grow. I know that I became a better customer when my hair stylists stopped assuming I knew anything about hair. I guess she got fed up at some point and let all of us have a bit of education. For those that didn't understand and still wanted to be problematic? She suggested that maybe they needed to find a different hair stylist. There were plenty of people who wanted to see and she had no problem filling those slots.





This was back in the early 80's. Before there were mass merchandisers with beauty salons inside and salons on seemingly every corner and shopping center. I don't know that the same tactic that worked for her than would work now. Especially since our society has grown to be more expectant of perfection and that society in general looks to blame everyone but ones self.





I'd at least try to explain the differences in hair types and urge them to go with something more complimentary for their style as well as easier to upkeep.
Stop trying to please them.





Tell them what they need to know. Your the professional, you know what can or can't be done, and it's your job to tell them!





I don't want to go to a stylist and have them do something I want just because I want it. I want them to educate me on why I shouldn't get what I want and why, if that's the case.





If you tell them that, and they insist on it, either get another stylist involved for a second opinion, or tell them up front if they don't like it in a couple days, you can change it, but at their cost. Not yours.





Since when can you exchange hair styles, like a piece of clothing.


It's a service.





They will keep coming back to you if your honest and up-front with them. They want to look their best, if you can provide that, why wouldn't they come back?





If they leave you looking like crap, do you really think they're going to trust you again??





ETA: If they're coming back to you because they're not taking care of they're hair properly, how is that your fault?


Ask them if they understood you when you gave them the look they requested.


If they did, then tell them to re-schedule an appt. and you'll show them again how to take care of it.


If they didn't undestand, then tell them to re-schedule an appt. so you can explain it to them again, and show them.





Notice in each example, they have to re-schedule an appt.


Doctors don't give free advice, neither do you.


You paid for your education, just the same as a doctor, your clients need to pay for your expertise.





Good luck, and stay strong.
The first time they come in, gently say ';I'm sorry, but i cant do that.';





if they still complain after the cut, make some hair suggestions, like how to syle it or what makeup would look great with it.
I've never had to go back and have them fix it. Have you tried having clients write out what they want when they come in? Some salons do this or others ask questions and write down what you say. As long as you are doing what they ask you shouldn't have to fix it for free. Having what they asked for in writing could help b/c you could read back to them what they asked for when they call to complain.
just tell them the truth....say that u cant promise to make them exactly how they want to look but ull try ur best, say how their hair is different from what they want/expect and tell them why u think they may look different from what they really want.....u dont have to b mean about it but just tell them how it is
You HAVE to tell them before hand your professional opinion. Don't be afraid of offending anyone. Just don't be condescending about it. Tell them that you really don't think the hairstyle will complement their features or hair texture. They will thank you for your honesty.....
they do that to me too! haaaaha!
People are going to complain. Regardless of how you do your job, and whether or not it looks good or if it looks bad. Ever see people eat a whole t-bone steak and then complain to the waiter that it wasn't rare enough? That's just the way people are, especially the older crowd. It seems like old people have nothing better to do with their time then to hear themselves complain.





I go to the salon to get my hair done and I've had to bounce around before to find one I liked. I never once complained because the truth of the matter is, whether you go to Super Cuts and get a $12 hair cut or if you go to Regis Salon and pay $130, the beauticians are both human and (from my experience) just because one charges more for a haircut doesn't mean it's going to be better quality. The great thing about hair though is that it GROWS BACK and just because someone chopped my hair ridiculously doesn't cause me to complain, because when you get your hair done that's the chance you take!





It seems to me that word has gotten around, cause your experiencing a lot of call-backs. So if you are constantly re-iterating that if they don't like it to call you back, I'd not say that as much anymore, cause if they're that type of person, they WILL be calling you back, regardless. I'd also be straight with them and upfront. Even if it's blatantly honest. My hairdresser tells it like it is and that's what keeps me going back to her. So if your client hands you a picture of someone and they're like 50 years older, I'd straight out tell them that it's not going to happen. Be honest and say, well that's not going to look the same on you, but I will try to make your hair as close to that as I can. That way they can't complain that you didn't knock 50 years off of them. Honesty!! It's better to be honest and hold your ground with your clients, in the end you'll get a more appreciative clientelle. Don't let your current crowd walk all over you anymore. Good Luck
I was a hairsalon owner for over 40 years and you will never please all of the people all of the time. If i had a difficult client I would stand in front of her, look her squarely in the eye and say ';Modom, this is a comb, not a wand'; they come to you to have thier hair done you didn't go to them and ask them to do it. so act as a proffesional and leave them in no doubt who is in charge BE ASSERTIVE!!
For several years I had a great hair stylist. (I moved away - I miss him as much as my friends!) ... What he said he did, was right up front, tell people that there some things he won't do for a client. If the 60 year old lady brings in the Ashley Tisdale pic wanting to have her hair done like Ahsley's and ';look'; like Ashley, he tells them ';No';. He doesn't do it rudely. He just says ';Look I went to school to be a hair stylist. I continue to take classes to stay at the top of my game. I know that there are cuts and styles that I might LOVE - but not on everyone. I believe everyone can have hair that accents their pluses and downplays any minuses. And if someone comes to me with a request that I don't think I can make work because of their hair type, their age, life-style or whatever - I have to tell them that I won't do it.'; I had asked him if he ever ended up doing something against his own judgement he said that earlier on in his career, he had done that. He tried going the route of fixing the hair for free - that was a nightmare. Then he changed to having them sign a statement that he didn't think the color, style, or whatever would make the client happy in the longer run and that, if they insisted on having him do it, then he would not make changes for free. He wasn't satisfied with that because it still wasn't addressing how he felt. He finally just said that he used a ';Just say NO policy';. He said he'd talk with people about what might work better and things like that and charge a lesser amount for a 20 or 30 minute consultation. ... His point was that he was a professional. He had a certain level of expectation that he had for himself. And if he didn't believe that the end product would be work that he wanted to represent him as a hairstylist, he would not do the work. ... A few people left as his clients. But he replaced them with clients that got what he was saying and appreciated his professional opinion. So, if you want to try this, avoid passing it off as a 'judgment' of the client - only as your professional opinion that, while the client might want it, and might like the end result - your work is your work and you place certain controls on what you want to put out there as your work. ... Like I said, he had some people walk away, sometimes offended. But he felt good about it because he felt good about his talents and his professional abilities. And he always had to turn away client because he couldn't handle more. So it did not hurt his business at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment