Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I have been a hair stylist for 7 years. I apprenticed for 2 in another state. Should I apprentice again?

I have been a hair stylist for a little over 7 years. I apprenticed for two years in California, but have been living in Portland, OR for the last 4. When I came here, I just began working at a laid back salon with a walk in clientele. I didn't want to assist anywhere, because I felt that I had already been through that. I have recently started working at a commission based salon and as usual a lot of my clients have not followed. I love where I am working, but am not really making much money here. It is a new shop and the location is quite far from my old shop. It is definitely picking up, but it is in the mid price range. This is okay, but I was trained to work at a high end place and think that my skills are good enough. However, to do this, I would most likely have to apprentice at a salon again. Most of my current clients just couldn't afford to go where I would like to be. Should I start from scratch and apprentice again? Is this the only way to jump to high end?I have been a hair stylist for 7 years. I apprenticed for 2 in another state. Should I apprentice again?
This is a common problem that hairstylists face. Leave your clients, or not have enough money. While it would be sad to leave your clients that you have built a relationship with and have to start all over again, I think that you have to leave the clients out of it and think about what is best for you. Could you make more money somewhere else? Probably. Would you like where you worked as much as the place you're at now? Maybe not. Which is more important to you?





I don't think that every high end salon starts everyone new as an apprentice. I know that a good majority of them do it this way, but you should consider looking around, because some of them will put you right onto the floor, but at reduced rates. You will still have to build up your book from scratch, but eventually you'll be able to raise your prices, and the ones that have been coming to you since the beginning will most likely stay with you. (since they're coming to a high end place anyway) Try craigslist. ( http://portland.craigslist.org/ ) They have a salon/spa section under the job listings, and you can make some good contacts there. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide!





Oh, yahoo answers isn't the best place to connect with other stylists. Check out, http://www.behindthechair.com/ It's a really great website for professionals, and the bulletin boards there are awesome.





Good Luck!I have been a hair stylist for 7 years. I apprenticed for 2 in another state. Should I apprentice again?
Apprenticing again would give you more experience and help you learn new and different techniques, in turn making you more valuable.


The organization and I agree that it would be in your best interest. Keep it fierce, keep it fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment