Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Should I Be A Hair Stylist?

Ok, so I am half way finished with college...I was studying to be a teacher but I got a job as a substitute teacher and I realize that I hate being a teacher lol. Anyways, so for a long time I thought about being a hair stylist, but I figured having a college degree was important. Since I don't want to teach anymore I'm considering not finishing college and going to beauty school. Is this ridiculous? I know stylists don't make a ton, but neither do teachers. I'd appreciate any advice, I am totally stuck. ThanksShould I Be A Hair Stylist?
I am over half way done with beauty school and I love it! It's what I've always wanted to do.. but let me tell you.. if you aren't serious about it you will never make it through school.. you really have to WANT it... beauty school isn't college.. its more like a full time job.. seriously 4 days a week 8 hrs a day..no spring breaks and summer breaks and random breaks lol! and it takes about a yr and a half to finish... it's hard work much harder than people think... You have already made it so far through college.. and thats money wasted which I don't know about you but I don't have money to waste.. so my suggestion would be to switch your major to something else.. surely you could find something.. I'm going to go to college after I finish beauty school for business management i think.. if you are serious about beauty school finish college then go to beauty school you don't want to waste all of that money.. if you are good at math accounting would be a good half and half job with hair... just a suggestion but theres plenty more (I'm sure you know better than me how college works) so just figure something out.. but seriously if you aren't serious and you dont LOVE it then dont even consider it because you will never make it through.. and i'm not kidding! Good luck honeyShould I Be A Hair Stylist?
How much of your distribution do you have done? If you have a large amount of distribution (general credits) finished, then I would just choose a different major and get a BA. It would take just as much time to become a hair stylist and what if you go to beauty school and decide you don't like that either? It would be better to have a BA to fall back on then go to beauty school afterward.
Finish colllege, then go to beauty school. Cosmetologist can make great money, it depends on where you work. You could work at a full service salon that charges $35-$40 haircuts, you could get 50% commission, not including tips. That's decent money. Just finish your schooling, get that degree, and move on to beauty school. You'll have both under your belt to choose from. Beauty school is only about a year anyway, then you get your license, that's no time at all. :) Good luck!
Stick with college. Keep searching for what you would love to do. Being a stylist sometimes means being self-employed without insurance and retirement and can be really painful on your back, shoulders and arms. So, I would stick to college. You've done a great job because you're half way through. Keep up the good work!
I work part-time at a supermarket and there is a lady there who is a stylist as well, so that might mean that you will have to work more than one job. The same goes for teaching because a lot of my teachers work two jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment